in the meantime, here's a great soup to try out. it's light enough for summer with its tastes and textures, and definitely works as comfort food even with high temperatures outside. i actually prefer to eat it warm - not hot - with a slice of homemade italian bread. and lastly, i cannot forget to mention what my designated taste tester will tell you about this recipe: do NOT leave off the cheese on top. it truly makes the soup.
minestra soup with sweet italian sausage
2 tbs. olive oil
1 lb. bulk sweet italian sausage
2 medium to large yellow onions, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (15.5 oz.) cannellini beans
1 bunch escarole, coarsely chopped
1 32 oz. container (4 cups) chicken stock
2 cups water
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup ditalini pasta
grated pecorino-romano cheese
1. in a soup pot, heat the olive oil on medium heat. add the sausage in pieces and cook until browned, about 8 minutes.
2. add the onion and cook until softened (about 4 minutes), then stir in the garlic and cook for another minute.
3. add beans, escarole, chicken stock and water. season with salt and pepper. cover and bring to a boil.
4. uncover the pot and stir in the pasta. lower the heat to medium and cook pasta about 7 minutes.
5. top with pecorino-romano cheese before serving. serving suggestion: serve with italian bread.
makes about 6 servings. enjoy! =)
♠ ♠ ♠
download a printable copy of this recipe at...