as i was making the dough, something seemed off to me with the original recipe. from my mies en place i realized that there was not enough bacon (thank goodness i made way more than the recipe called for) and way too much chocolate. not only that, but i also felt that the chips should be milk chocolate, not semi-sweet to further balance the flavours. the end result of my concoction? my official taste tester who is NOT a fan of sweets said that they were *THE* best chocolate chip cookies he's ever had. i have to agree, although i must say i am a bit biased...
candied bacon chocolate chip cookies
for the candied bacon:
12 slices of good thick center cut bacon (from your butcher would be best)
3/4 cup brown sugar
for the cookie dough:
2-1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup butter, melted and slightly cooled
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
1 tbs pure vanilla extract
1 whole egg + 1 egg yolk
1-1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
1. preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. arrange bacon in a single layer on a foil lined cookie sheet with a rim. sprinkle brown sugar over the top of the bacon. bake for 10 minutes. remove from over and flip pieces over. bake an additional 10-15 minutes, or until crispy. you may have to do this step twice to accommodate all the bacon.
3. remove from over and place on a wire rack to cool. DO NOT put bacon on a paper towel or anything of the sort. the melted sugars will stick a bit to whatever you put it on so make sure it's something you're not going to be picking off it later. dice bacon to around chocolate chip size once fully cooled.
4. reduce your over temperature to 325 degrees F.
5. in a large bowl, cream the butter with both the white and light brown sugars.
6. add the vanilla, egg and egg yolk to the bowl and beat until light and creamy.
7. add the flour and baking soda, mix well.
8. add the candied bacon and chocolate chips. stir by hand until combined.
9. line your cookie sheet with parchment paper. make golf ball sized balls of the cookie dough and place on the cookie sheet about 2" apart. bake for 13-15 minutes or until edges are brown. remove from oven. let the cookies sit in the pan for about a minute before removing to a wire rack.
makes about 3 dozen cookies. enjoy! =)
♠ ♠ ♠
download a printable copy of this recipe at...