two last things before i get to this recipe... adorning my s'mores cupcake is one of my new skully love cupcake wrappers which will be in my etsy shop later today. isn't it cute?!!! and i have to give a BIG thanks to sue, pili and rhi for their assistance with creating it! you'll each be getting a set! =)
yes, i know you probably want to lick the screen right about now. so here it is!
deb's birthday cupcakes, aka graham cracker s'mores cupcakes
5 c. graham cracker crumbs, divided (3 cups, 1-1/2 cups, 1/2 cup)
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
3 eggs, separated
1-1/2 c. milk
3/4 c. shortening
1-3/4 c. sugar, divided (1-1/2 cups, 1/4 cup)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
bag regular sized marshmallows
milk chocolate frosting (see recipe below)
a couple of hershey bars broken into the little rectangles for garnish
mini marshmallows for garnish
foil lined baking cups for best results
1. preheat oven to 350 degrees F. turn graham crackers into crumbs using a food processor or blender. empty contents into large bowl. repeat until you have 5 cups. in another large bowl mix together 3 cups of graham cracker crumbs, baking powder and salt.
2. put egg yolks, milk, shortening, sugar and vanilla into a blender. cover and process until smooth. add to graham cracker mixture and mix well.
3. beat egg whites with mixer until stiff. fold into cracker mixture.
4. place 1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs, 1/4 cup sugar, and melted butter in a large bowl; stir until well combined.
5. place 1 tablespoon graham cracker mixture into the bottom of each baking cup. use the bottom of a small glass (a shot glass works really well, lol!) to pack crumbs into the bottom of each liner. transfer baking cups to oven and bake until the edges are golden, about 5 minutes.
6. fill baking cups about 3/4 full with cake batter. bake 18 minutes.
7. while cupcakes are baking, flatten as many marshmallows as you have cupcakes with your fingers. slide oven shelf out far enough to reach without burning yourself. place one flattened marshmallow on top of each cupcake. slide cupcakes back in and bake for 4 minutes more. side note: marshmallows will lose their puffiness once you remove them from the oven and look like a flat icing on the cupcake.
8. let cool completely. if you would like more marshmallow taste like i do, flatten another marshmallow per cupcake and put under the broiler for about a minute. this will toast them nicely (see photo below). just make sure to keep an eye on them so they don't burn!
9. frost cupcakes with milk chocolate frosting. sprinkle with remaining graham cracker crumbs on top. garnish with a hershey bar piece and mini marshmallow.
makes at least 2 dozen cupcakes. ENJOY!!!! =)
toasted marshmallow photo:
milk chocolate frosting
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
2/3 cup hershey's cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 to 1/2 cup half and half (the hershey's recipe calls for milk but i think half and half makes it taste way better)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. melt butter. stir in cocoa. alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. add small amount additional milk, if needed. stir in vanilla.
makes about 2 cups frosting
♠ ♠ ♠
download a printable copy of this recipe at...