rosemary & olive oil focaccia bread
2 pkg yeast
2 cups warm water (105-115° F)
1 tbs sugar
5-1/3 cups flour
2-1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1. mix yeast in a small bowl or measuring cup with water, sugar and 2 tbs of flour. let rise for 10 minutes.
2. in a large bowl, stir together 5 cups flour & 1-1/2 tsp salt. make a well in the middle and add yeast. begin kneading.
3. when dough is smooth and elastic, shape it back into a ball and put in a bowl with 1 tbs. olive oil . turn ball once to coat. cover bowl with a cloth and let rise about 45 minutes. punch down with a fork and let rise for 35 minutes longer.
4. use 1 tbs oil (or olive oil flavored pam, works just as well) to grease a 11x15 baking sheet. press and roll dough flat into the sheet. cover with plastic wrap & let rise 15 minutes more. while rising preheat the oven to 425° F.
5. remove plastic and poke dough with a fork to make a nice pattern. brush top with remaining olive oil (to your taste). sprinkle rosemary, salt & pepper across the top and then bake for 18-22 minutes or until top starts to gain a golden color.
bread recipe makes enough for about 8 sandwiches.
deli pepperoni (optional)
fresh hand pulled mozzarella cheese, sliced
red onion, sliced
extra virgin olive oil
salt & pepper
1. mix together olive oil, garlic powder, basil, salt & pepper. i usually do about 2 tbs of olive oil for 4 sandwiches, with about 2 tsp each of the garlic powder & basil. salt & pepper is to taste.
2. lightly brush olive oil mixture on top and bottom of bread.
3. layer the sandwich with pepperoni, cheese, onion, baby spinach and tomato.
♠ ♠ ♠
download a printable copy of this recipe at...