last night i didn't know what to do for dinner. as i was going through my recipes i realized i had half a bag of potatoes waiting to be used on my counter. it was a cooler gray day and once i had the potatoes i knew this soup was an order. i found a recipe a few years ago for potato leek soup - which was good - but i love to take recipes and make them my own. this soup recipe is now my all-time favorite. it's actually healthier than it sounds and worth the time and effort it takes to make it. so here we go!
creamy potato onion soup
2 tbs olive oil
4 leeks, sliced into 1/4" pieces
4 large potatoes with the skin left on, cubed to 1/2" pieces
5 cups water
1 large yellow onion, diced
salt & pepper
1 package of cream cheese (8 oz - i use light)
1/2 cup milk (i use skim)
1 lb bacon, cooked and drained
10 green onions, chopped
1. in dutch oven, cook leeks in oil on medium for about 10 minutes. stir occasionally.
2. add water, potatoes, yellow onion, salt & pepper. bring to a boil. reduce heat to medium-low and cook covered for 20 minutes.
3. take about 1/3 to 1/2 (depending on how chunky you like your soup) of the soup mixture, put it in a blender and puree it. return to pot.
4. start cooking the bacon. drain the fat and crumble it into the soup mixture as it is finished cooking.
5. add the milk and cream cheese. cream cheese should be cubed into about 15 pieces and added a few at a time every couple of minutes so that it melts properly. don't forget to stir. i like to add the green onions at this time but they can also be used as a garnish.
6. serve with shredded cheddar and/or green onions on top. just a note - keep soup in pot covered otherwise a thin skin will form on the top.
makes about 8 servings. enjoy! =)
♠ ♠ ♠
download a printable pdf file of this recipe... http://www.oncupcakemoon.com/recipes/potatoonionsoup.pdf