chicken sausage pasta salad
1 box (1 lb dry) penne pasta
1 package (1 lb) sweet italian style chicken sausage, sliced
1 green pepper, sliced into small strips
1 red pepper, sliced into small strips
1 yellow pepper, sliced into small strips
1 zucchini, halved then sliced
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 small to medium red pepper, finely diced
1 tsp garlic powder (or 2 fresh cloves, minced)
salt & pepper
optional - small yellow onion, diced
optional - marcona almonds
1. cook and drain the pasta according to box directions.
2. in a large skillet, warm the chicken sausage on medium-low if it is pre-cooked. otherwise cook the sausage on medium til slightly golden.
3. in a dutch oven, steam the peppers, zucchini, and grape tomatoes. i steam them separately and only a few minutes each to keep their crispness. once they get oversteamed they become soggy and hard to work with.
4. combine the pasta, sausage and vegetables in a large bowl. if desired, add a small yellow onion at this point.
5. begin making the dressing in a small bowl using the olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. mix well. add the red onion to the dressing and continue to mix. pour over large bowl contents and toss. if desired, toss in some marcona almonds as well.
makes about 8 servings. enjoy! =)
♠ ♠ ♠
download a printable copy of this recipe at...