this week we'll have 2 recipes since i missed last week... it's been a bit busy around here and i haven't been able to sit down and type out everything until now.
with the first day of autumn being this thursday, i thought a nice hearty italian meal was an order. this eggplant parm is great in any of the 3 stages: fried eggplant by itself (or dipped in marinara), fresh out of the oven, or as leftovers the next day. and the marinara is quite tasty over your favourite pasta as well. add a side salad and some crusty italian bread and you've got yourself a dinner that's incredibly satisfying on these cooler days.
eggplant parmesan with homemade marinara sauce
1 large eggplant
italian style bread crumbs
marinara sauce (recipe to follow)
fresh deli mozzarella, thinly sliced
grated pecorino romano cheese
1. heat oil over medium to medium-high heat in a dutch oven, large pan or deep fryer. beat eggs in a large bowl. prepare one plate with flour and one with bread crumbs.
2. peel eggplant. slice it lengthwise into 1/4 thick slices. dredge the eggplant in flour, dip in egg to coat and then dredge in the bread crumbs. fry eggplant in oil, about 3 minutes or until golden brown.
3. in a large rectangular baking dish begin with layers: start with marinara on the bottom. add a layer of eggplant, then marinara, then shredded mozzarella, and finish with a sprinkle of pecorino romano. continue to layer until you reach the top of the pan. the top layer should be eggplant, marinara, then the sliced fresh mozzarella, and a sprinkle of pecorino romano. bake for 25 minutes, or until the top layer of cheese begins to brown.
3 tbs. olive oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 28 oz. cans crushed tomatoes
1 15 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
2 tbs. chopped fresh parsley leaves
2 tbs. chopped fresh basil leaves
2 tbs. chopped fresh oregano leaves
salt and pepper
1. heat oil in large saute pan over medium heat. add the onions and cook until soft (about 3-4 minutes). add garlic and cayenne pepper. stir and cook for about a minute. add the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. bring to a boil. cover and reduce heat to medium. let cook about 30 minutes.
2. stir in the parsley, basil and oregano.
♠ ♠ ♠
download a printable copy of this recipe at...